How do I apply for a concealed weapon permit? (New & Renewal Applicant)
- Obtain an application packet either online or from any LVMPD substation.
- Take a concealed firearms qualification course from a certified firearms instructor.
- Be sure your firearms instructor signs the certification form in the application packet
- Complete all instructions in the application packet. (Do not sign the form until instructed to do so.)
- Present yourself at one of our two service locations during normal business hours with the following items:
- A completed (unsigned) application
- course certification
- debit/credit cards, cash, a money order or cashier’s check for the appropriate fee
- proof of residency (valid driver’s license)
- Proof of citizenship, if not born in the US.
Persons born outside the U.S. or U.S. territory must show one of the following:
Where can I get a CCW application and the list of instructors?
- • Naturalization Certificate
- • Valid U.S. Passport
- • U.S. Birth Certificate
- • Resident Alien card.
- • This includes U.S. citizens born abroad.
Photocopies will not be accepted
You can print out the CCW application at this link CCW Application
or pick up an application at any LVMPD substation. Find Nearest Area Command
If I have been convicted of a Felony/Gross Misdemeanor/Misdemeanor, can I obtain a concealed weapon permit?
You have the right to apply. Your application will be reviewed by a technician at the time of your visit and an investigation will be conducted to determine if you are eligible for a permit. The permit will be issued to you unless it is determined that you are not qualified to possess a firearm pursuant to state or federal law. You have the right to appeal a denial. Application fees are non- refundable
Yes. Fingerprints must be submitted to confirm your identity and obtain the most current information available.
How long does it take to receive my CCW permit?
NRS requires that your application be processed within 120 days. We are currently processing applications within that time frame. If you submitted your application more than 120 days ago and have not received a permit, you may call the Fingerprint Bureau at 702-828-3271. Do not call if it has been less than 120 days since you submitted your application, as this may further delay processing, and you will not be provided a status update.
How long does it take to process an ATF application?
ATF applications can take up to 3 months to process. If you submitted your application more than 3 months ago and have not received a response, you may call the Fingerprint Bureau at 702-828-3271. Do not call if it has been less than 3 months since you submitted your application, as this may further delay processing, and you will not be provided a status update.
Can I carry my concealed weapon anywhere in Nevada?
Refer to NRS 202.3673 for information on where permittees are authorized to carry concealed firearms and the exceptions.
Generally Prohibited Locations
A permit holder must NOT carry a concealed firearm into:
Is my concealed weapon permit valid in other states?
- Any facility of a law enforcement agency.
- A prison, city or county jail, or detention facility.
- A courthouse or courtroom.
- A public airport and/or a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
- A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance.
- A public building that has a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building.
- Any facility of a public or private school without written permission.
- Any facility of a vocational/technical school, or the University of Nevada, or Community College System without written permission.
- Any other building owned or occupied by the Federal Government, the state, or local government.
- Any other place where carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.
A concealed weapon permit is a State issued permit. Those permits issued by the LVMPD are valid throughout the State of Nevada. However, other States determine individually whether or not they accept a concealed weapons permit issued from any other States. Therefore, you must contact the particular State where you are interested in carrying your concealed weapon, to inquire about the acceptance of a Nevada concealed weapons permit.
The Nevada Department of Public Safety
and Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association determines which State permits are acceptable to carry concealed weapons in the State of Nevada.
How can I add a weapon to my permit (Revolver or Semi-Automatic Weapon)?
Effective 10/1/2012, you may carry any handgun in a concealed manner when you have a valid, unexpired concealed weapons permit.
Your permit does not need to be updated, even if your card indicates “Semi-Automatic Only” or “Revolver Only.” All active concealed weapon permit holders are eligible to carry any handgun with their existing permit.
What do I need to do if my name has changed?
I have moved, how do I change the address on my permit?
- You must present yourself in person at either of our two locations.
- You must provide proof of the name change, i.e., marriage certificate, court document, etc.
- A new photo will be taken, along with a signature with your new name.
- Pay $25.00 by debit/credit card, cash, money order or cashier’s check only.
As outlined in NRS 202.367, a permittee shall notify the sheriff who issued his or her permit in writing within 30 days if the permittee’s permanent address changes. A permittee who fails to notify the sheriff pursuant to the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25.
Download Change of Address Form
There are three ways in which a permit holder can change their address with the LVMPD:
- By appearing in person at either CCW office location,
- By printing and completing the CCW Change of Address form and mailing it to:
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department - CCW Detail
5880 S. Cameron St.
Las Vegas, NV 89118
- By printing and completing the CCW Change of Address form and faxing it to:
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department - CCW Detail
There is no fee for performing this address change; however you will not get a new permit issued nor will you receive any type of sticker with the updated address. If you would like to obtain a new permit that reflects the new address, there is a $15.00 fee for this service. (Cash, Money Order or Cashier’s Check Only, no personal checks will be accepted. Debit/Credit cards can be accepted for in person
How do I replace a lost or stolen CCW permit?
You can come in person to either of our two locations and fill out an affidavit that your permit was lost or stolen, or
You can mail in a signed, notarized affidavit along with a money order or cashier’s check to: LVMPD Fingerprint Bureau – CCW Detail, 5880 S. Cameron St., Las Vegas, NV 89118.A duplicate permit will be mailed to you.
The fee is $15.00 by cash, money order or cashier’s check only. Debit/Credit cards can be accepted for in person
How do I renew my CCW permit?
You are required take a refresher firearm qualification course and resubmit a complete application packet to one of our two offices in person. Each renewal application requires photo and fingerprint submissions.
What’s the earliest I can renew my permit?
- See the fee chart for renewal fees, depending on the current status of your permit.
120 days prior to expiration date.