Have you been slapped, strangled, hit, stabbed, shot, verbally abused, sexually abused, threatened with a deadly weapon, harassed, stalked, or suffered any other form of physical violence by an intimate partner, a family member, in-law, boyfriend, girlfriend, roommate or acquaintance? There is help if you believe you are a victim of domestic violence! If you need to speak with a victim advocate, please call (702) 828-2955, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
A Protection Order is an important part of a safety plan, but it also is important that you take other steps to remain safe.
- Keep a bag packed and include your important papers. If you have to leave quickly, it will be ready.
- Keep a written log of any contact, harassment or abuse, including date and time of the incidents and witnesses. This information will be helpful if you file a police report.
- Save answering machine tapes, caller ID records, or call traces. They can be used to substantiate your complaint.
- Let neighbors, co-workers, and friends know what is going on so they can keep an eye on you.
- Don't be embarrassed! Keeping the adverse party's behavior a secret could be dangerous for others as well as yourself.
- Keep a copy of your protection order at all the places listed. Give a copy to friends, family, neighbors and co-workers.
- Once the adverse party is out of the residence, change the locks!
- Keep the exterior of you home well-lit and trim any shrubs.
- Change your daily habits. Take new routes to work, try a new supermarket. Don't make it easy to be followed.
- DO NOT meet with the adverse party, even if that person promises to return belongings or to resolve differences.
- Always ask for a police escort to retrieve belongings or return property.
- If you can't avoid an attack, try to stay out or get out of the kitchen, bathroom, garage, or any place where there are sharp or heavy objects that can be used as weapons.
Know the resources in your community for emergency shelter, information and support. Keep phone numbers on a small card that you can carry with you at all times.