The events of September 11, 2001, coupled with reports of anthrax exposures, has led to our entire nation embracing the concept of Homeland Defense.
As our nation responds to the threats of terrorism, we are challenged to unite for our common protection, and also take steps as a matter of preparedness and vigilance.
American law enforcement agencies have always had a role in Homeland Defense, whether it was during world wars, the cold war, or even preparing and responding to community-wide disasters.
Terrorism, by definition, is a criminal act, and policing by its nature has always combatted crime. The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has taken extraordinary steps to prepare Southern Nevada for the latest Homeland Defense initiative.
- Partnering with the FBI in a Joint Terrorism Task Force.
- Expanding the role and scope of the Criminal Intelligence Section.
- Established liaisons with other governmental agencies, public safety agencies, utilities, and key businesses to develop protection strategies and response protocols.
- Redeployed officers to fulfill Homeland Defense missions.
- Reviewed and modified our Emergency Operations plans.
Recently, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has established an Operations Conditions Level to address threats and attacks that may occur during these unprecedented times.
- Condition Level 1: When there is no general or specific threat of possible terrorist activity or violent protest or any other significant event.
- Condition Level 2: When there is a general threat of possible terrorist activity, violent protest or some other significant event.
- Condition Level 3: Where there is a specific threat or an imminent likelihood of terrorist activity or violent protests or other significant event.
- Condition Level 4: When a terrorist attack, violent protest or other significant event has or is occurring.
Our community can be assured that this Department has plans in place to address all Condition Levels.