Candidates who successfully pass the Oral Board Interview will go on to the next step of the testing process, the Life History Investigation (Background).
Candidates going through the Life History Investigation (Background) with the Professional Standards Division will be sent via email an Access ID and Password to an individual private Personal History Statement (PHS) online account by their assigned Background Detective. Candidates will have 10 days to complete the requirements of the Personal History Statement. Candidates will be responsible for signing and having various waivers and documents notarized, in addition to completing the PHS online. Once the PHS is completed and submitted back to the assigned Background Detective, the Detective will contact the candidate for further processes.
NOTE: IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU IMMEDIATELY BEGIN TO COMPLETE THE PHS AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE YOUR ACCESS ID AND PASSWORD VIA EMAIL. YOU WILL ONLY HAVE 10 DAYS TO COMPLETE THE PHS FROM THE DATE YOU RECEIVE YOUR EMAIL. ALSO, YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY OBTAIN ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. FAILURE TO COMPLETELY ANSWER ALL OF THE QUESTIONS CONTAINED IN THE PHS AND PROVIDE THE REQUIRED WAIVERS WITHIN THE 10-DAY TIMEFRAME WILL RESULT IN YOUR INVOLUNTARY WITHDRAWAL FROM THE BACKGROUND PROCESS.
To prepare for completing the PHS, you are encouraged to begin gathering information about yourself in the following areas for the time period from birth to the present:
• Personal and Family Information
• Character References
• Educational History
• Experience and Employment
• Prior Employment Applications with LVMPD and/or other agencies
• Military Service
• Motor Vehicle Operation and Insurance
• Legal (Warrants, Police Contact, Lawsuits, Arrests)
• Alcohol and Drug History
Also, to prepare for your interview with the Background Detective, you must immediately obtain the following required documents, as they pertain to you. They must be provided at the time of your schedule Background Interview. It may be necessary to order these original, certified documents, so please allow time for this.
1) Birth certificate
2) High School transcripts showing graduation (not diploma) or GED and GED transcript showing successful completion.
3) Official College transcripts (This must be sealed; not diploma).
4) Military DD FM 214 or Statement of Service (Original Long Form).
5) Valid driver’s license.
6) Social Security Card.
7) Selective Service Card (Males under 27).
8) Proof of U.S. Citizenship (If born abroad, naturalization certificate, permanent resident alien card etc. This must be the original).
9) All legal name change documents (marriage licenses, divorce paperwork etc. Applies to males and females).
10) Criminal and Civil Court documents to include, but not limited to Bankruptcy (discharge of debtor) or discharge statements, civil lawsuits etc.
11) 10 year social security employment history obtained at a social security office. Not earnings statement (Fee applies).
12) LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY – IAB Clearance letter listing all pending investigations and dispositions (current and pending).