Below are general conditions of employment without exception for all LVMPD positions. These conditions are terms of any LVMPD employment opportunity, and supplement those contained in the specific job posting. Please be sure you are willing and able to adhere to these conditions before applying. Please also refer to the FAQs for additional information on LVMPD employment policies.
Nevada Residency, Personal Vehicle and Driver’s License
- Applicants must obtain a Nevada driver’s license and must register their personal vehicle with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles and Public Safety (DMV) in accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS). NRS 483.245 requires individuals to obtain a Nevada driver’s license within 30 days after becoming a Nevada resident as a prerequisite to driving any motor vehicle within the State. NRS 482.385 requires individuals to apply for vehicle registration within 60 days after becoming a Nevada resident or at the time the Nevada driver’s license is obtained, whichever occurs first. Once an individual becomes an LVMPD employee, they are considered to be a Nevada resident and therefore, are required to meet the above NRS requirements. The LVMPD requires Nevada residency as a condition of employment.
- The LVMPD operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. You may be required to work any hours, days or shift, including holidays and weekends.
- While on duty, and/or representing the Department, uniformed or otherwise, all Department employees will be neat and clean in their appearance in public. Employees are prohibited from attaching, affixing, or displaying objects, articles or jewelry on or through the nose, tongue, eyebrow or other exposed body part. Females may wear one earring in each earlobe while on duty. They will be matching stud-type with the stone or ornamentaion not exceeding 1/4 inch in diameter. Employees are prohibited from stretching or “gauging” their earlobes. All jewelry implants will not be exposed or visible while on duty. Tattoos or branding will not be exposed or visible while on duty and/or representing the Department. Such markings must be covered by clothing, and may not be covered by make-up or bandages. Tattoos or branding anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, violence, or contain sexually explicit material are prohibited. Please see the following video regarding the LVMPD tattoo standard.
LVMPD must grant approval before an employee can engage in outside employment,
including being self-employed. Approval may not be granted during employee’s
initial probation from date of hire, typically 24 months for Police and
Corrections Recruit and 12 months for most other classifications.
- Applicants must undergo a background investigation, which will include a polygraph and drug test, and may include a medical exam, standard hearing test and psychological testing.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
- This Department pays for a pre-employment drug test required of all new employees and a medical examination required for only certain positions. Applicants must comply with this condition of employment, on the understanding that the resul(s) will be kept confidential and used strictly to make the final employment decision.