The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department offers an Internship Program for current college students who are approved by their school to obtain college credits through completing the required work hours and meeting any other associated requirements. All of these requirements must be agreed to by LVMPD, the intern applicant, and the college concerned before the internship starts.
Specific areas where interns may be assigned include Cold Cases, Missing Persons, Criminalistics, Sexual Assault, Property Crimes, Domestic Violence, and Detention Services, etc. However, through sit-alongs, ride-alongs, and tours, interns may also be exposed to more aspects of the Department and its operations. The progress of individual interns is monitored by the Office of Human Resources and may be periodically reported to the college to which the intern belongs.
The minimum qualifications for an internship with the LVMPD are as follows. Internship applicants must:
- Be endorsed by the college/university for the proposed internship.
- Be age 18 or above.
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful Permanent Resident Alien
- Be a current student in good academic standing, with a GPA of 2.75 or higher, enrolled in an accredited U.S. college/university that offers credits counted towards graduation for completing an internship with a law enforcement or criminal justice agency.
- Have already completed the first year in an Associate's degree program or the second year in a Bachelor's degree program; or currently be pursuing a Master's degree.
- Be able to work a minimum of eight hours a week.
- Be able to provide proof of sufficient health insurance coverage by the time the internship starts.
- Be available to travel to Las Vegas for an in-person background interview (out of area applicants).
Students meeting these criteria may fill out an online application by clicking here and look for intern positions.
Applications should be filed at least 60 days before the start of the semester in which the internship will start.
After passing an initial screening, candidates will be contacted by a background investigator. If you are invited to a background interview, you are required to bring all documents required by the background investigator to be presented at the interview, as well as the following:
1. your driver’s license or state-issued Identity Card;
2. official, sealed college transcript(s);
3. proof of enrollment in a college internship course offering credits for completing a specified number of work hours in an internship, or a college letter of intent indicating your eligibility; and
4. proof of current health insurance.
At this time, the LVMPD does not hire intern applicants on a provisional hire basis. Therefore, all background requirements must be completed prior to the start of the internship.
Thank you for your interest.