How do I apply for a concealed firearms permit in person? (New & Renewal Applicant)

  • Obtain an application packet either online or from any LVMPD substation.
  • Take a concealed firearms qualification course from a certified firearms instructor.
    • The course must be for a minimum of 8 hours of instruction (4 hours for a renewal)
    • There must be a live fire qualification
    • There will be a written test (not required for renewal)
  • Be sure your firearms instructor signs the certification form in the application packet.
  • Complete all instructions in the application packet.  (Do not sign the form until instructed to do so.)
  • Present yourself at the Records and Fingerprint Bureau for fingerprints and photograph, during normal business hours, with the following items:
    • A completed (unsigned) application
    • course certification
    • debit/credit cards, cash, a money order or cashier’s check for the appropriate fee
    • proof of residency (valid driver’s license
    • Proof of citizenship, if not born in the US.

Persons born outside the U.S. or U.S. territory must show one of the following: 

  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Resident Alien card
  • This includes U.S. citizens born abroad
  • Photocopies will not be accepted

Where can I get a CCW application and the list of instructors?
You can print out the CCW application at this link CCW Application  or pick up an application at any LVMPD substation.  Find Nearest Area Command
You can view or print the list of authorized instructors at this link: Approved Firearms Courses

If I have been convicted of a Felony/Gross Misdemeanor/Misdemeanor, can I obtain a concealed weapon permit?
You have the right to apply.  Your application will be reviewed for completeness by a technician at the time of your visit and an investigation will be conducted to determine if you are eligible for a permit.  The permit will be issued to you unless it is determined that you are not qualified to possess a firearm pursuant to state or federal law.  You have the right to appeal a denial.   Application fees are non- refundable.

If I am a current Medical Marijuana Patient, can I obtain a concealed weapons permit?
No.  The use of medical marijuana is disqualifying for receipt or possession of firearms per Federal Law 922(g)(3).

Are there other reasons why I might not be able to obtain a concealed weapons permit?

Applications can be denied for reasons outlined in the Nevada Revised Statutes. Such reasons include:

    • An outstanding warrant of arrest (including Traffic)
    • A felony conviction.
    • Judicially declared incompetent or insane.
    • Habitual abuser of drugs or alcohol (including DUI and Medical Marijuana).
    • A conviction for a violent crime including a misdemeanor.
    • A conviction for domestic violence or stalking.
    • Currently subject to a restraining order, injunction, or other order of protection involving domestic violence.
    • Currently on parole or probation.
    • A pending entry of a felony conviction or recent suspension of a sentence for a felony.
    • Pending criminal charges.
    • False statements on the application.
    • Dishonorable Discharge from the military.

If I have already been fingerprinted for a national background check, do I need to be fingerprinted again?
Yes.  Fingerprints must be submitted to confirm your identity and obtain the most current information available.

How long does it take to receive my CCW permit?
NRS requires that your application be processed within 120 days.  We are currently processing applications within that time frame.  If you submitted your application, and were fingerprinted in person at the Records and Fingerprint Bureau,  more than 120 days ago and have not received a permit, you may call the Fingerprint Bureau at 702-828-3271.  Do not call if it has been less than 120 days since you submitted your application, as this may further delay processing, and you will not be provided a status update.

Can I carry my concealed firearm anywhere in Nevada?
Refer to NRS 202.3673 for information on where permittees are authorized to carry concealed firearms and the exceptions.

Generally Prohibited Locations

A permit holder must NOT carry a concealed firearm into:

  • Any facility of a law enforcement agency.
  • A prison, city or county jail, or detention facility.
  • A courthouse or courtroom.
  • A public airport and/or a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
  • A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance.
  • A public building that has a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building.
  • Any facility of a public or private school without written permission.
  • Any facility of a vocational/technical school, or the University of Nevada, or Community College System without written permission.
  • Any other building owned or occupied by the Federal Government, the state, or local government.
  • Any other place where carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.

Is my concealed firearm permit valid in other states?
A concealed firearm permit is a State issued permit.  Those permits issued by the LVMPD are valid throughout the State of Nevada.  However, other States determine individually whether or not they accept a concealed firearms permit issued from any other States.  Therefore, you must contact the particular State where you are interested in carrying your concealed firearm, to inquire about the acceptance of a Nevada concealed firearm permit. 
The Nevada Department of Public Safety determines which state permits are to be recognized and accepted for the purpose of carrying a concealed firearm in the State of Nevada.

What do I need to do if my name has changed?

  • You must present yourself in person at the LVMPD Records and Fingerprint Bureau.
  • You must provide proof of the name change, i.e., marriage certificate, court document, etc.
  • A new photo will be taken, along with a signature with your new name.
  • Pay $25.00 by debit/credit card, cash, money order or cashier’s check only.

I have moved, how do I change the address on my permit?
As outlined in NRS 202.367, a permittee shall notify the sheriff who issued his or her permit in writing within 30 days if the permittee’s permanent address changes.  A permittee who fails to notify the sheriff pursuant to the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25.   

CCW Change of Address Form

There are four ways in which a permit holder can change their address with the LVMPD:

  • ​By printing and completing the CCW Change of Address form and e-mailing it to: (Signature must be on the form)

  • By printing and completing the CCW Change of Address form and faxing it to:
    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department - CCW Detail

  • By printing and completing the CCW Change of Address form and mailing it to:
    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department - CCW Detail
    400 S. Martin L. King Blvd., Bldg. C
    Las Vegas, NV 89106

  • By appearing in person at 400 S. Martin L. King Blvd, Bldg. C, 

There is no fee for performing this address change; however you will not get a new permit issued nor will you receive any type of sticker with the updated address.  If you would like to obtain a new permit that reflects the new address, there is a $15.00 fee for this service.  (Cash, Money Order or Cashier’s Check Only, no personal checks will be accepted.  Debit/Credit cards can be accepted for in person transactions only.)

How do I replace a lost or stolen CCW permit?
You can come in person to the LVMPD Records and Fingerprint Bureau and fill out an affidavit that your permit was lost or stolen, or
You can mail in a signed, notarized affidavit along with a money order or cashier’s check to:  LVMPD Fingerprint Bureau – CCW Detail, 400 S. Martin L. King Blvd., Bldg. C, Las Vegas, NV 89106. A duplicate permit will be mailed to you.
The fee is $15.00 by cash, money order or cashier’s check only.  Debit/Credit cards can be accepted for in person transactions only.

How do I renew my CCW permit?
You are required to take a refresher firearm qualification course and resubmit a complete application packet in person to LVMPD Records and Fingerprint Bureau.  Each renewal application requires photo and fingerprint submissions to be taken in person at the Records and Fingerprint Bureau.

  • See the fee chart for renewal fees, depending on the current status of your permit.

What’s the earliest I can renew my permit?
You may begin the renewal process at any time, but no credit will be provided for unused time.