How do I get a copy of my report (accident, crime or background check) if I live out of state?
You may request a copy of your report by sending a request via letter or you may pick it up at the Records and Fingerprint Bureau.  If you are mailing your request, be sure to include a notarized authorization, a copy of your driver’s license (or other government issued identification. The date must not be expired.), a self addressed envelope, and a cashier’s check or money order payable to Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for the amounts listed with the below services.

Accident Report: You must provide:

  • Event number, if available
  • Location (including cross streets)
  • Date and time of accident
  • Name (first and last) of party(ies) involved
  • License plate number of the vehicle(s) in accident, if known
  • Cashier's check or money order in the amount of $12.00 

Crime Reports: You must provide:

  • Event number if available
  • Name (first and last) of victim or person reporting crime
  • Date of Birth
  • Date of occurrence or report-filed date
  • Cashier's check or money order in the amount of $12.00

Background checks: You must provide the reason for the background check:

  • Adoption
  • Employment
  • Immigration
  • Personal
  • Sealing a criminal record
  • Cashier's check or money order in the amount of $12.00
  • For background checks only, you must include a notarized copy of your valid (not expired) driver’s license (or other valid government issued photo identification).

What type of documentation is required to get copies of police reports?
You must have a valid (not expired), photo identification (driver’s license or other government issued photo identification).  If your request is going to be sent via US mail, then you must also include a notarized authorization and $12.00 cashier’s check or money order, made payable to Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

What is the mailing address?

For crime reports, background checks and traffic reports: (include the required documentation noted above)

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
Attn: Correspondence Section
400 S. Martin Luther King Boulevard
Building C
Las Vegas, NV 89106

I was a victim of a crime while visiting Las Vegas.  I did not file a report while I was in Las Vegas but would like to file one now.  How can I do this?
You may contact your local police agency to inquire if they would take a courtesy report for you.  Or, you may file your report through the mail.  Through the mail, you can write a letter outlining the circumstances, including date, place(s), and as many details of the incident as you can provide.  In turn, we will create a report from your letter and send you a copy when it has been completed.  Depending on the type of crime, these may be for insurance purposes only and may not be investigated.  However, please remember, we will only take reports that occurred in our, Las Vegas, jurisdiction.  We do not take reports for incidents that occur in Henderson, North Las Vegas, Boulder City, or traffic accidents that occur on the freeway.  The freeway is Nevada Highway Patrol’s jurisdiction.  

If I request a copy of a police report, how long does it take to receive a response?
Generally, you should plan for at least 3 - 4 weeks.  You may receive it sooner, but depending on the volume of requests received this would be a good estimate of time.

May I fax my request?
No, because a payment must be received in order to process the report request.

May I have my report faxed to me?
No, because we need proof of your identity for verification purposes. 

How do I get my disposition of my case?
You would have to contact the court of jurisdiction in your case, and those links are provided here: Links.

I have to pay a ticket – where do I go?

What is the approximate wait time to pick up my report or get a background check at Records & Fingerprint Bureau?
Well, it’s difficult to estimate the wait time on any given day, however, the best times to obtain services from our Bureau are weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Additionally, certain reports and records are available at area commands via credit or debit card payment only; cash is not accepted.

Do I need cash?
You will need either cash, no bills larger than $20.00 bills, please; or, you can bring a cashier’s check or money order, but it will have to be for the exact amount of your transaction, as no change is provided for cashier's checks or money orders over the amount of the service.

How do I contact the Detective assigned to my case?
At the time your report was taken by the officer or in person at an LVMPD facility, you may have been given a Victim’s Information Guide (VIG).  The event number was written on this guide, and you should follow the instructions contained in the Guide.  

How do I get a work card and where do I go to obtain it?  What information should I bring with me to obtain a work card?
You may call telephone number 702-828-3271 to contact the Records and Fingerprint Bureau located at the Headquarters Campus at 400 S. Martin Luther King Boulevard, Building C., Las Vegas, NV  89106. Please bring with you a signed Employer Application form (completely filled out in black ink) and any  2 (two) of the following forms of valid identification:

  • State issued Driver’s License or State ID
  • U.S. Passport

  • Military ID

  • Naturalization Certificate

  • Certified Birth Certificate

  • Social Security Card

  • INS Authorization to Work

All work cards are $62. Some work card application types are subject to an additional FBI Background fee of $40.25.  (addition to cash, we accept VISA/MC, debit, cashier check/money order. Personal checks are not accepted, nor is American Express).

Juveniles 17 years of age and younger must bring a work permit from Clark County Juvenile Justice Services located at 601 N. Pecos – Telephone 702-455-5200.

Can I find out if I’m wanted?
The best way to find this information is to contact the courts directly because we cannot verify your identity over the phone.  Please note that if you come into Police Records in person, and you are actually wanted, then we are required to notify an officer, and you may be arrested.  You may have to check all of the courts if you’re not sure which judicial system may have the outstanding warrant.  Click this link for Clark County.

Can I get a copy of someone else’s arrest record(s)?
Only the subject of the arrest record may get copies of their record, unless they authorize someone else to specifically obtain the records.  Authorization must be written and notarized and the person authorized must have a valid (not expired) government-issued photo identification.  This authorization must mention the name of the person that will be retrieving the record as well. Authorization to Obtain Police Report Form.